A stitch in time...thoughts from an addicted knitter.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Flower Power

I've been on a bit of flower kick lately. Since I don't have much time to knit (or blog for that matter...sorry!) I've been keen on quick, easy projects that give me some completion satisfaction.

The first flower is a variation of the felted flower pattern by KnitWhits.


KnitWhits Flower

Her kits come with lovely Alpaca yarn, but since I'm allergic to Alpaca I used Cascade 220. I think I may have goofed and attached the leaves backwards. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to felt this some more as it's too large for what I want to use it for. But the pattern was really great and easy to follow. I plan on making several more in different colors.

This rose is a variation of a pattern Nicky Epstein wrote for Vogue Knitting.


Rose by Nicky Epstein

I think somehow the pattern was edited to leave out some important details, because it was pretty vague and I didn't get it. So I kinda made it up as I went along. I think it worked out ok though. The leaves are from Nicky Epstein's Knitting Over the Edge book. The first photo is the flower before felting and with only one leaf. I can't decide if I like it better felted. What do you think?

The Dahlia is from a pattern called "Little Gem" in Classic Woman by Rowan.


Dahlia from Classic Woman by Rowan

I really like it, but not everyone gets that it's a flower. The pattern shows some beads in the center, so I may add some to make it more unique.

This funky flower looks like poop to me.


Crimson Flower (AKA Poop)

It's a combination of the rose (see center) with some petals added on. I don't think it was a success. I'm going to try and improve on it by adding some beads...but it may end up in the trash.

There are other flower variations in Nicky Epstein's Knitting Over the Edge book that I might try to modify and make more flowers with. I'm having fun with this for now...

~ Christina

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flowers are wonderful.. I have been trying to figure out which flower would work on a baby for a friend. Your dahlia gave me some ideas or another reason to buy a book :D

3:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for your happy fleurs! Look forward to seeing more! :)

6:20 PM

 
Blogger Felissa said...

I think they are all great!

4:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the dahlia, it's gorgeous! It also looks a little like a spider mum to me. Anyway, love it!

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Great to see how well the dahlia turned out! I am planning to make one of the other flowers from that book -- just picked up the yarn and some beads. What a great book that is!

4:38 PM

 
Blogger spinnity said...

Lovely! The Nicky E rose is very open unfelted and much more curled when felted. I like the deep curl. It promises secret scents inside.

The poop rose needs a contrast-color center. What about some embroidery to create lines directing the eye into the center of the rose? Then maybe it won't have to go in the trash.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

I'm glad y'all think the Dahlia looks OK. I got mixed reviews from non-knitters. And thanks for the tip on the embroidery for the poop flower Spinnity. What a great idea!

~ Christina

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home