A stitch in time...thoughts from an addicted knitter.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Weekend in Mendocino

A couple of weekends ago I took my Mom up to Mendocino for her birthday. On the way up North, as we were going over the Golden Gate Bridge, my Mom mentioned that she knew of a yarn store in San Rafael and asked if I wanted to stop (does a bear sh@# in the woods?). She had been there before when she purchased the ball winder and swift she had given me for my birthday (aren't I lucky to have such a great Mom?). After a bit of driving around we found Dharma Trading Co. What a store! They are a bit more expensive then my LYS, but they have so much yarn. I must admit I splurged a little, but these are all for quick-to-knit Holiday gifts and selling at the Holiday Boutique.


First Row, Starting at Left: Linie 73 Spot in color 16 & 18, Muench Yarns Lucky in color 5002 sitting on top of Peter Pan Double Knit by Wendy in color 334, Classic Elite Yarns Tinsel in color 7489, Muench Yarns Lucky in color 5004 sitting on top of Plymouth Yarn Dreambaby 4 Ply in color 102, Linie 43 Punta in color 15.
Second Row, Starting at Left: Gedifra Distrato in color 3504, Anny Blatt Fils in color 641, Linie 43 Punta in color 35.
Third Row, Starting from Left: Muench Yarns Lucky in color 5008, Anny Blatt Fils in color 383.


After leaving Dharma Trading Co. we continued the drive, taking scenic Hwy 1 most of the way until we arrived at the Hill House Inn. The T.V. Show Murder, She Wrote was filmed there. It was a quaint Inn with beautiful views of the coastline and a light house my Mom was fascinated with. We got to Mendocino late and all of the downtown stores were closed, so we just ate dinner at the restaurant in the Inn and then headed up to our room.

My Mom thinks knitting is too difficult for her, so she wanted to learn how to crochet. I bought and brought a small pamphlet on how to crochet and we sat down and took a stab at it. It was pretty pitiful. I still don't know if I was doing it right and I know I was doing it way too tightly as my "crocheted fabric" curled up as if in pain. We've decided to find a class and take it together. Any recommendations?

After trying to crochet we headed out again in search of dessert. We found a hotel downtown that was still serving food in their bar area and I had a delicious Sundae while my Mom had a yummy cobbler. On the walk back to our car a crazy man started following us until we turned around a started him down. Scary!

On Sunday we headed up to Fort Bragg and took the Skunk Train through the Redwoods. It was a nice ride and I got a bit of knitting done (photos and details to come tomorrow). Then it was back in the car for the long drive home. All-in-all it was a great trip!

~ Christina

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a superb weekend! Nice haul at Dharma. Did you manage to swing by the LYS is Fort Bragg too or did you control yourself? ;)

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Oh no! There’s a LYS in Fort Bragg too? I completely missed it. So sad. :(

11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend with your Mom! And I'm drooling over your yarn choices, all so lovely!

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks Mel. There's a lot of novelty yarn, but that tends to be the easiest for quick-knits!

~ Christina

3:14 PM

 
Blogger spinnity said...

Neat weekend with Mom! I'm going to have to plan something like this for Mom's next visit to CA. We need a little adventure.

My crochet looks like crap, too. If I wanted to learn really solid crochet technique (and I could be tricked into wanting this.. ) I would try to take a class with Jen from meetup. She seems really solid in techniques, patience and style. Edie Eckman is patient & solid, too, so the Stitches class will also work out great for you & Mom.

5:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home