A stitch in time...thoughts from an addicted knitter.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Iron Knowledge?

I need a new iron. Especially if I'm going to ever get back to knitting and then blocking my finished objects. So here is where you come in...any suggestions on irons expecially good for knit items? I would imagine steam performance would be important.

I checked Consumer Reports and these are two irons they are recommending:

Black & Decker Digital Advantage
With top scores for ironing and steaming, the Blacker & Decker (1) is the only tested model judged excellent overall and a fine choice for heavily wrinkled items. But note that its stainless-steel soleplate was judged only good for glide on dry fabrics. Still, if you dampen items or use steam or spray, you'll get smooth sailing. It has a digital control for setting the temperature.


Black & Decker Digital Advantage Iron


Hamilton Beach Steam Excel
The Hamilton Beach was very good overall and very good for ironing. It has a stainless-steel soleplate, which scored excellent for glide.


Hamilton Beach Steam Excel Iron

Please leave your opinions, experiences with irons, etc. in the comments. Thanks!

~ Christina

6 Comments:

Blogger Felissa said...

I like they way the second one looks, I know that doesn't help much but I like it. Me

10:35 AM

 
Blogger spinnity said...

Hi Christina.. my personal bias is to always buy Rowenta. It's a German company and the Germans actually still iron practically everything. The other thing I recommend is ALWAYS using distilled water. I've clogged up my iron with the hard water in Santa Clara and I need a new one. Rowentas run about $70 or more.

11:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Spinnity on the Rowenta. I've had mine for about 7 years and it works as good as the day I bought it. Ditto on the distilled water too.

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you decide on one?

12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about Black and Decker irons, but I can tell you that every time I've had one of their small appliances, parts have fallen off or a switch has stopped working. Even though they're more expensive, the Rowenta is a great iron.

Sandy

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Well it sounds like I should get a Rowenta! Thanks for all of the comments. I'll post a pic once I get it.

~ Christina

11:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home