A stitch in time...thoughts from an addicted knitter.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Knitting Paradise

I haven't had much time to knit lately. Too busy getting ready for the move (only two more weeks). The good news...the thought that keeps me going...I will have a knitting room soon! Yes, there is a room in our new house that is all mine and that I will turn into a knitting haven. The room once had a closet, but the doors have been removed. I'd say the room is about 12 feet by 12 feet...maybe (I'm not so good at estimating space).

Here is where you come in. I'm trying to decide how to organize said knitting paradise. Should I put my yarn in plastic bins? Should I install cubbies to store my stash? I have a LOT of yarn (but really, not too much, as one can never have too much). What else should I have in my room? A couch? A table? A wall covered with cork board to pin up ideas/patterns? What do you think? Post your suggestions in the comments. Thanks!

~ Christina

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I have a dresser for my yarn and spinning supplies, they all go in drawers (because my cats will attack my yarn otherwise. Since you don't have the problems of your doggies getting to them, I'd make it like a yarn shop!! I like it when people use those creative cubes to hold yarn, you can easily access and touch your yarn, and you know what you have.

I would definitely have at least a coffee table in there (so you can sip your tea and knit on a comfy chair or couch... which is also a neccessity btw). Put glass pitchers or vases around to house your needles in pretty ways, and maybe have an "idea board" with pictures of patterns you want to knit, or neat stitch patterns :)

10:23 AM

 
Blogger spinnity said...

I have a couple of cupboards and a dresser, but my favorite thing is the 18-cubbies Magiker shelf unit.

URL: www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=10191&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*10173*10414

I also have a fold out sofa, since my knitting room is also a guest room, and um, many bookshelves. I have a table which is mostly used as a flat surface for measuring things, since I'm not much of a designer.

In the closet, I have some of those under-the-bed bins, organized by type of yarn. I've been pondering re-ordering them by color for greater inspiration.

6:11 PM

 
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Wow, what a fantasy! A whole room for knitting. My room for knitting is currently sharing space with three computers and way too many desks.

I have to agree about the nifty cubes -- if you arrange by color your yarn doubles as interior decor.

If I had my fantasy knitting room, I'd have a cutting table (the kind that you can stick pins in for blocking), and maybe a dress form and wig form for sweaters and hats.

Also an open file cart with patterns alphabetized and easily accessible. And definitely a stereo to listen to knitting-friendly music.

This is a fun game! I hope one day when we buy a house I can have my own knitting paradise!

5:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home