A stitch in time...thoughts from an addicted knitter.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Chica's Sweater Swatch

So I knit two sweater swatches for Chica's sweater last night. The first one I knit using size 7 needles (as called for in the pattern) and instead of getting the 20 stitches per 4 inches I was supposed to have I got 17 stitches to 4 inches. So I unraveled my first swatch and I tried a size 6 needle and knit another swatch. (Did I mention I HATE swatching?) Same result, 17 stitches to 4 inches.


Chica's Sweater Swatch on Size 6 Needles

Now what? Am I doing something wrong? Should I have gone up a size in needle instead of going down? It seems to me that would give me less stitches per inch. I figure, worst case the sweater will be a bit larger on Chica. I'm ok with that. She can grow into it.

The yarn I'm using is "Leader Tweed" by Tawny, #412. It's 100% acrylic. I'm not a big fan of acrylics, but I figure it's the right choice for a dog sweater. It's a good idea to be able to throw it in the wash when needed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dahling!

You are probably going to get the same gauge if you are using the same yarn that you used on the previous swatch, rather than a new piece of yarn. This is because the yarn will have a tendency to stretch once it's been used. Go down one more needle size and use "fresh" yarn. You can always use the scraps if you run out when you are making the sweater... somehow, I don't think Chica would notice the difference....
Tina

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Sage advice from an experienced knitter...thanks Tina! I'll try reknitting the swatch with "fresh" yarn.

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home